post 2 of G+

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Wed May 22 21:57:36 MST 2013

Are you a video lover or a music lover? Are there video files that you want
only the sound of for your mp3 player?
Here is how to do that:

youtube-dl -o <filename>.flv --extract-audio --audio-format=mp3 "youtube
url" (with quotes)

The 'o' option names the file.
The "--extract-audio" option does what it says.
The "--audio-format=..." can be best, aac, mp3
If you just want to download the entire video leave out the
"--extract-audio" and "--audio-format..." options.
For more information see the man page for youtube-dl.

Okay PLUG,how do you download it as an mp4 or what other video files can I
download it as? I think you would do  "-o <filename>.<filetype>" but the
man page doesn't say anything.

Hmmmm...... You know I think we should perhaps do a tutorial on installing
linux into a virtual box so that widows users can avail themselves of these
linux how-to's.

Does anyone have a how-to for installing a virtualbox for Linux or do I
need to write one up?