OT: Internet Sales Tax Passes the U.S. Senate

Bryan O'Neal Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com
Tue May 7 23:44:16 MST 2013

Ken. If you are not recording your sales you are already screwed. If you
are then your accountant will have the software required to do your sales
tax. If you are doing over a million in internet sales but can not afford a
few K for an accountant you are also screwed. If you
whole business will collapse because of a new $1500 fee, you should not be
in this business  I was an accountant for a company that did 10mill in
sales every month and 3 of us took care of everything including the
consolidated statements on several dozen subsidiaries and investor payouts
not to mention the thousands of vendor invoices we processed every month.
The only thing we farmed out was payroll and you know what - it is not that
bad.It is not going to be hard once it becomes common. I

Regarding xen to quick books - again - weekend project for a friend who did
far less then you apparently do. But I question what accounting software
you do use if this is all way to much for you and you fear
your current provider would not support you. Particularly when it is really
not that big of a deal. Sure I would not write one from scratch for free -
that is what peachtree, timberline, intuit, even freaking xTuple are for
(the have a staff of professionals paid to make things easy for you).
Don't freak out, don't fire people, don't close your doors, just be aware
that you will need to talk to your accountant. And again, if you do over a
mill in sales and you don't have one - god help you.

And no if your margins are low you may not make much at all off of a mill
in sales. The value is reasonable to separate a hobby from a business  And
if you are in business you should be capable of having a part
time accountant process your orders through their software and spit you out
a report once a week.
But I will also say if you are just scraping by, and you are not able to
grow your unit sales or decrease your costs significantly year after year,
then you probably should be looking for another job anyway because stuff
like this happens. You get a spike in bad customers, a rash of lost items
in the mail, a new set of international tariffs or additional customs
procedures, or - some one else who is doing it better then you. That is the
nature of business.