How to promote Plug's value - was: Are Social Networks ...

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Tue May 7 09:18:38 MST 2013

On 05/07/2013 06:59 AM, Lisa Kachold wrote:
> 1) No delegation from the top.
> 2) The top = a "One Man Show"; rather than an organized decision group
> made up of assigned officers with a clear responsibility, delegation
> powers, access and term.  This limitation in a process analysis equates
> to "spoke wheel management"; wherein the bandwidth bottleneck of the
> single management entity limits the ability for the group at every
> level. So, as far as I am concerned, until this factor changes, the PLUG
> will always have huge limitations and no bandwidth to do more; people
> wanting more will be alienated or frustrated, etc.

You keep saying stuff like this, but all it shows is that you have no
clue what you are talking about.  Plug is NOT a one man show.  There is
a steering committee and most steering meetings are open for anyone to
attend and participate in and doing so is highly encouraged.  We have
one guy, Hans, that tends to be the face of PLUG but what is he sayign
to PLUG has usually been talked about in the Steering Committee
meetings.  He is however extremely bandwidth limited these days with his
family and work and has been backing away from many things plug lately.
  It's not too uncommon to see someone else MCing the meetings these days.

> 3) Poor control of and development of the PLUG Website; content
> submissions are too limited for each group, so value is lost every week.

You're the only one saying this.  Most people are saying quite the
opposite.  Just about everything that is submitted makes it to the
website... the problem is that there aren't a lot of things being
submitted since we usually have trouble getting a presenter until just
before the meeting starts.
What changed on the website is that we changed from a place where we
allowed just about anyone to do whatever they wanted to the website
whenever that felt like it, which was causing more problems than it was
solving, so we switched to system were we have a small number of people
that have direct access to the website so that it can remain a quality
resource.

Can you imagine what the kernel would be like if they gave commit access
to everyone who felt like they wanted to contribute to it?

Brian Cluff