Fwd: cellphones

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat May 4 07:30:00 MST 2013

Google cannot be a carrier; they lead the Android ecosystem and they own Motorola.  Owning software, manufacture, and carrier together would cause no end of problems with the FTC (they had a hard enough time just combining software and manufacture).
Also, being a carrier requires billions in wireless spectrum licenses that aren't available, the existing (large) carriers already have all the spectrum.  That's why Dish wants to buy Clearwire and Sprint so much, to get their spectrum licenses.

Google is far better off building the O/S, the ecosystem, (some of) the hardware, and the internet services, and letting others innovate to find ways around the current "telco mentality" in the carriers.