mail from root

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu May 2 21:58:05 MST 2013

Let's see:

You are running a "sendmail debug" command:

Enter: "sudo sendmail -d someoneexternal at someplaceelse.com

it will spiel out a ton of stuff (you can scroll up and down to watch
sendmail go through it's recipes and tests, then it will Pause waiting for
input:

Enter: "testing 01 01 01"  This is the body of the email test - HIT ENTER

ENTER "..." on a blank line and ENTER
Control D will also work now.

Wait for the envelope to complete.

Scroll up and down to see what it liked and didn't like or post to the list.

# tail /var/log/mailTAB  (depending on your postfix/sendmail or distro you
log file will be named differently)

You should see that the email was accepted or delivered locally.

If you need help determining what is happening to your local mail, post the
log and the debug to the list.

Hope this helps?

Of course, any of us can probably assist more quickly if you give us ssh
access, but I wouldn't trust Hans if I were you (laugh!).....

See my inline comments related to rkhunter below:

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 07:17:04AM -0700, Lisa Kachold wrote:
> > Robert
> > Test your mail on the server via command line:
> >
> > sudo sendmail -d yourname at yourdom.com
>
> As root: sendmail -d holtzm at cox.net test
>
> This returned a bunch of configuration info followed by
>
> --> MAIL FROM:<holtzm at cox.net>
> <-- 250 2.1.0 <holtzm at cox.net> sender ok
> --> RCPT TO:<holtzm at cox.net>
> <-- 250 2.1.5 <holtzm at cox.net> recipient ok
> --> RCPT TO:<test>
> <-- 550 5.5.0 <test> invalid address
>
> It didn't like "test" no matter where in the command string I put it.
> >
> > enter some text.
> > hit ". ."
> > Use your terminal up/down keys to see if the mail was delivered.  Check
> > your mail.  Did you get it?
>
> Nope
> >
> > Check your installation:
> >
> > command rkhunter --configfile /etc/rkhunter.conf --report-warnings-only
> > --checkall
>
> You must have a later version of rkhunter. In mine, checkall must be
> replaced by --check
>
> Yes, various versions differ.

What is your version please?  And linux distro?  Did you install from pkg
management or manually (sorry you might have addressed this already)?

> It returns the same thing it always has when I run it manually.
>

> > Update the checksums database :command rkhunter --propupdate
> >
> > Update the threats database (the update is done weekly afterwards) :
> >
> > command rkhunter --update
>
> Not meaning to be argumentative but the above 2 commands don't appear to
> have anything to do with mail notifications. If I'm wrong, please
> correct me.

Well, they update the rkhunter threats database and give information
related to the installation.  They are good to run.

> > The command below is run daily. Its results are send by e-mail to the
> root
> > user if a problem appear. Run it once to check that everything is setted
> up
> > right :
> >
> > command rkhunter --configfile /etc/rkhunter.conf --report-warnings-only
> > --checkall
>
> If it's sending it's report to root mail you should see it in the
/var/spool/mail/root file.

Do you get other root mail?

> Just did that. Still no joy.
>
> My apologies for being so late but I have to squeeze time in to work on
> this.

Yes, we are trying to divide and separate the mail from the rkhunter run -
just to be sure we have a good installation, etc.

Please post whatever error messages you have, etc.

> --
> Bob Holtzman
> If you think you're getting free lunch,
> check the price of the beer.