Are Social Networking Sites Reducing Activity on This List?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Wed May 1 15:26:41 MST 2013

I can't do anything about the distance, but the know nothing part is
false.  People always assume that they don't know anything worth passing
along, but everyone in plug is different and everyone's knowledge base
is different.
For instance, I put myself at just about 19 years of using Linux, but
I've never used XBMC... something I know you have been up to your
armpits in lately... Yeah, you don't know everything about it, but you
can certainly relay how you have been using it, what it can do for us
and what you want learned along the way.   The really cool thing is that
there are a lot of people that will know more than you, and that's not a
bad thing... more than once I have seen people vent a frustration they
are having with their topic of choice and someone will chime in from the
audience with the answer, if it's simple, of offer to walk them through
it after the presentation if it takes more than a minute.

Hans has often times pointed out that the best way to learn something is
to do a presentation about it.  There are a lot of topics that we want
to learn about, but usually don't have enough incentive to get ourselves
started on them.  Well, pick one of those and decide to do a
presentation on it.  Hans does that all the time.  I can't even tell you
how many time he's come to the meeting and talked for a hour about
something he didn't know much about the day before.

I think people forget that the best presentations don't cover every
aspect of a piece of software.  The best presentations tell you what a
piece of software does and highlights a few features, then leaves the
audience to decide if it's worth their time to use the software.  If
there is enough demand, then you can do a/some follow up presentations
on the same topic that explore different aspects of the software.

I'd much rather have a cool drink of water from a glass than to feel
like I've had a drink from a fire hose.

Brian Cluff