Are Social Networking Sites Reducing Activity on This List?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Wed May 1 14:38:46 MST 2013

 From what I have gathered, Linux has become extremely easy to use, to
the point that a lot of people that used to post on the list and come to
the meetings feels like they don't need the help anymore.

I always try and impress on them that if they got something out of PLUG
that they should try and put something back in, in the form of helping
other people or to give presentations, or just contributing to a
project.  Alas, we don't see a lot of that.  PLUG tends to be an "add a
penny take a penny" bowl where people tend to just take pennies.

There are approximately 500 unique email addresses subscribed to the
PLUG-Discuss mailing list, but you would never know it.  There are
really only 10 or so people that ever contribute on the list.  The
people on the list aren't really showing up to PLUG meetings either, and
I know there are a handful of regulars that do show up that aren't even
subscribed to the mailing list.  The number of people that contribute to
the meetings regularly could most like be counted on one hand.

Linux has come an amazing distance in a fairly short amount of time, but
it seems that there is a glass ceiling that we have hit where people are
comfortable enough with the status quo and don't want to contribute like
they used to... if they would, I can't help but to think that we would
have made a much bigger dent in the desktop area.

I would love to see the good old days come back so we could have some
serious problems with finding enough space to hold a meeting.  It would
make it a whole lot easer to get some big names in to give talks...
thats for sure.

Brian Cluff
(Sorry, feeling a little "ranty" just now :)