Router Setup Problem

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Mar 29 19:39:50 MST 2013

I just received a new ASUS RT-N16 running dd-wrt from Flashrouters. I
replaced my aging Linksys BEFSX41. The only change I made was to the LAN IP
- the router comes setup with 192.168.1.1, and I changed it to 192.168.25.5
(my network is 192.168.25.xxx). I connected the new router to Cox through
my cable modem, got a new DHCP WAN IP and new dns nameservers. I updated my
/etc/network/interfaces to reflect the new
dns nameservers,
dns-search (changed from tc.ph.cox.net to ph.cox.net), and
the gateway from 192.168.25.1 (old router) to 192.168.25.5 (new router)
(I use a fixed IP on the wired network, and DHCP for the wireless)

I can connect to the Internet using the wireless part of the new router,
but the wired part of the new router times out on access to the Internet. I
can ping all my local machines on the wired network. When I ping google.com,
the error is ping: unknown host google.com, so I assume I cannot resolve
any Internet addresses.

Any suggestions on how to further troubleshoot/fix this problem?

Thanks, and Happy Good Friday to everyone!

Mark