Tor Project

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Mar 20 07:41:47 MST 2013

I have an acquaintance that used to run an anon ftp in high school back
when warezing was cool in the 90's (before lawyers hover like vultures
for a free meal), and got an early life lesson when he was approached by
the fbi for hosting child porn.  Someone unknown uploaded it to his
server, and being mostly a child himself still, he had no idea.  His
entire adult life (college, jobs, credit, etc) was instantly ruined as a
convicted "pedophile" across public records for an indefinite future.

Some 15yr later, he just literally got it cleaned off his record with
legal battles since then a few years ago, as now they sort of understand
the dynamics that "ip.addr!=human" around internet law, but there's
obviously trail of undesirable pointers still.  Not to mention he's long
since screwed now from having any normal job or quality of life from it
to build on now being well into his 30's.

This always stands as a poignant reminder of "don't be that guy" for me
from early on.

-mb