Safe Instant Messaging

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Mar 15 22:08:38 MST 2013

I won't use skype for the same reason.  I'd held off for x years they've
existed, and was going to make one finally as a client used it for
official and non im, but soon as microsoft bought them, I wrote them off.

Microsoft will not say no if the government tells them to (antitrust,
anyone?).  Blackberry did this in india actually making the news forced
to give up access to a foreign government, but no news here as they
already do.  They'll have your cell or wired isp give up raw bitstreams
of your traffic with or without a subpoena if they're that interested.

I suggest getting Pidgin+OTR for win or linux for IM.  Mac has adium
that supports it.  Hardest part is getting others to use pidgin or
something with OTR capability.

Pidgin also supports ssl encryption, but it's hard enough getting folks
to install otr let alone getting them to deal with pki...

Why every im client doesn't offer OTR or compatible is beyond me
(actually I know why, but it depresses me), then again I've had some of
the yougin' engineers I've worked with look at me like I had four heads
when I asked him if he had aim or yahoo.  Of course that look got worse
when he asked what my facebook was and I told him I didn't have one.

Guess we're getting old still using legacy IM tech, my low number icq
uin isn't cool anymore.

-mb