Linux security focus

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Mar 13 01:07:40 MST 2013

Am 12. Mar, 2013 schwätzte blake gonterman so:

moin moin blake,

> I attended a few of the stammtisches a few years back, but kind of fell out
> of the Linux community...

General topics meeting this Thursday at Iguana Mack's and Stammtisch there
next Tuesday :). Lisa mentioned the hackfests as well.

> I've been working at a medium sized company trying to figure out where to
> go next. A coworker of mine is suggesting I go down the road of Unix
> security. To that end, I've built a small lab at home and have started

The quarter is just starting, so you can get into a GNU/Linux Security
class at a community college if you want.

Get into Chris' class in Mesa if you can, but you'll need an override from
him. Or get into Joey's class in Goodyear.

http://classes.sis.maricopa.edu/index.php?keywords=cis271dl&subject_code=any&all_classes=true&terms[]=4132&credit_career=B&credits[min]=gt0&credits[max]=lte9&start_hour=any&end_hour=any&startafter=&instructors=

MCC now has a student group focused on security as well.

Also, get into CactusCon if you can.

http://www.cactuscon.com/

> getting back into learning to tools available. I'm not looking for a
> glamorous pentesting position, just a functional security position focused
> on Linux.
>
> I'm curious what people already in the field are focused on these days. I
> have quite a bit of experience with FIM (tripwire) and I'm focused on
> mcafee Web gateway at work currently.  Once my contract is over at the end
> of the year, I want to focus on more Linux relayed work.
>
> So, is there a need for a dedicated Linux security person here in the
> valley, or should I focus on the sysadmin portion and work security into
> the mix?

There will increasingly be a need for security professionals. It's the
nature of society.

> By the way, I have the RHCSA certificate, I just decided standard sysadmin
> work wasn't for me.

There's a RH security cert as well. Estrella is probably the route to go
if you want to pursue that.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Intelligence without compassion is a waste.  -- der.hans