Video Drivers

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Mon Mar 4 16:52:59 MST 2013

Hello All,

I'm looking to incite a flame war. I was under the impression that the ATI
graphics driver that is open-sourced was being developed by the community, not
directly by AMD. Is it true that AMD is developing the driver itself?

I want to buy a new video card that is capable of playing a few games I like
to kill time with, probably in windows until Steam gets some more linux stuff,
but I also want good support in my KDE environment.

I have always stuck with Intel because it has awesome support in Linux... Now
I need to choose between nVidia and AMD. Because of many comments and support
for AMD I recently purchased a new AMD machine that I intend to use for my
development server, but until I replace my workstation, I am using it for
that. It has an AMD graphics built in Radeon HD 6530D. I have been pleasantly
surprised by this card using the open source driver, but I'm wondering how it
would work with the proprietary driver, and I'm a little scared to attempt to
install it.

If you were going to buy a new card today (sub-$100) what would you buy and
why? I value your opinions, which are also more current than what Google is
returning...

I appreciate your thoughts!

--
Regards,

Nathan England

NME Computer Services http://www.nmecs.com
Nathan England (nathan at nmecs.com)
Systems Administration / Web Application Development
Information Security Consulting
(480) 559.9681