Watching DVD's on Linux is ILLEGAL in the USA?

Jason Spatafore jason_online at spatafore.net
Sat Mar 2 18:51:30 MST 2013

The beauty in this is that it's just not entirely true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_%28Android_OS%29#United_States

Rooting and jailbreaking is permitted under copyright law since 2010 as
it was ruled as legitimate (DVD encryption falls into the same realm).
You are authorized to view your purchased DVD's in any device you
desire. The media and the device are separate entities (as well as the
licensing) and if you must use a third party software to view your
"licensed to view" DVD (which is what you buy when you buy the DVD), you
are free to do so.

You still, however, are not permitted to decode the DVD and make illegal
copies. The archival clauses of fair use *do* apply if you are making a
backup of the DVD itself. However, a "back up" is a mirror image, so you
must include the encryption in your backup. (To do so on Linux, you can
use DD to make your backup instead of a DVD ripper tool.)

That's my two cents and I'm sure it would win in a court of law.