Watching DVD's on Linux is ILLEGAL in the USA?

Richard Daggett richard-daggett at daggettdesign.com
Sat Mar 2 09:46:19 MST 2013

I would say its illegal to watch dvd's on a illegal copy of the player
(using libdvdcss).  You can purchase legal dvd players for linux

Actually, Linux Has a Few Licensed DVD Players

It was once true that Linux users had to become criminals to watch
commercial video DVDs (at least in the USA). However, there are now
licensed DVD players available for Linux.

For example, Ubuntu’s Software Center offers the licensed Fluendo DVD
Player<https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/fluendo-dvd/>.
This DVD player will cost you $25, although you have probably already paid
for licensed DVD-playback software that comes with your computer’s DVD
drive in the first place. If you purchased the licensed Cyberlink DVD
player, which was previously the only legal option for watching DVDs on
Linux in the USA, you probably need to buy the Fluendo DVD Player to play
DVDs on modern versions of Ubuntu.