Times to move to Linux

Paul Mooring paul at opscode.com
Wed Jun 26 09:19:24 MST 2013

Matt,

There couldn't be a saner point to add to this conversation.  I'm frequently surprised at how even people who understand computers and networking treat security as some sort of dark magic.  If you have a fully patched Linux desktop with no externally listening services, no one (not even the NSA) can get in without going to extreme lengths.  People are so frightened by the PRISM controversy that they aren't acknowledging that it's great insight into how the government really does gather data, they ask for it while holding a really big gun.  There was no crazy backdoors or complex exploits involved, they just told companies that had data to give it to them and the companies complied.  The lesson we should be learning from this is that data you put on the Internet is not private, ever.

Paul Mooring
Operations Engineer
www.opscode.com