OT: How to embed or call a shell script in an html file?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sun Jun 23 07:45:24 MST 2013

From: joe@
> Now, my follow-up question is, how can I integrate this shell script
> into an html file as I hope to be able to use it in a web page?

This is *not* a good idea.  Creating dynamic web pages with shell can be done,
but it's not one of the things that shell is designed for/good at.  One way is
briefly described at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/ssi.html .  You
will have an easier time of it if you use something that's designed for
creating dynamic web pages, like mod_python or CGI-Perl or Ruby on Rails or
PHP.

> #!/bin/bash - This shell script that I have named "qsearch" now works.
>
> while (:) do
> echo -e "Press S to search >>> \c"; ans=`readin`; echo; case $ans in
>   [sS]) echo -e "Find what word? \c";read name1
>         echo -e "and what second word? \c";read name2
>         fgrep -y "$name1" q-hid | fgrep -y "$name2" > tempz
>         cls; echo -e "\nSearch word(s): $name1 $name2";
>         echo "Here are the first 10 results found:"; echo
>         head -10 tempz; echo;;
>   [qQ]) cls; echo; exit;;
>   *) cls; echo "Not a valid option."; echo;; esac done
> esac
> done

How is this working?  If I paste the above into temp.sh and execute it, it
says "/bin/bash: - : invalid option".  If I fix the interpreter line so it
says "#!/bin/bash" , it complains that readin and cls are not valid bash
commands.  If I replace "ans=`readin`" with "read ans" and "cls" with "clear",
it fails with a syntax error because "esac done" is in there twice.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows