Looking for Linux Equivalent Program

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Thu Jun 20 09:24:42 MST 2013

It just occurred to me that if you could find a tool that made heat maps
in general that it would be relatively trivial to create a script that
just continuously polled your wifi strength and GPS location and gave
you a textfile that you could feed into your heat map generating software.

I did a little searching with splitting the tasks in mind and I found
that kismet or droidstumbler will log the necessary data (
http://www.wirelessleiden.nl/projects/heatmap/wiki/datacoll ) and then
you can use kisheat ( http://code.google.com/p/kisheat/ ) to display it
overlayed on good maps.

This ( http://sunng87.github.io/heatcanvas/ ) looks like it might be a
another possibility.

I'm certain that something could be hacked up to work with Grass GIS (
http://grass.osgeo.org/ ), but thats like using a sledge hammer to kill
a fly.

I don't really see anything that does exactly what you want all in one
package.  Perhaps you might be able to use a hybid solution where you
use linux/android to collect the data and then import it into the other
software under wine.... if it even works.

Brian Cluff