Looking for Linux Equivalent Program

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Jun 20 00:50:44 MST 2013

I use inssider on my tablet for quickie survey data, it looks similar to
wifi analyzer and is free too.  Either is probably good in a pinch, and
then some.

I bought a spectrum analyzer, a metageek dbx, that unfortunately has
most investment of features in windoze software, but kismet has a side
project spectools to get basic readings out of it graphically as well
for linux.  For the windoze software, I feed the device into virtual box
on an xp instance along with a wifi nic, and this gives me most all the
functionality of both worlds.

Mapping though, I didn't see much about the one wifiscanandmap vs.
something like ekahau or airmagnet survey suites.  Oh yeah, their main
site was dead then too which didn't help me wanting to bother get
working.  Of course the commercial tools are a good 5-10k for the tools,
require windoze, and still come with quirks to use, but do what you
generally need, which is record and display overlays of the traffic
adequately.

If wifiscanandmap can, I'll definitely check it out again. Otherwise I'm
just gonna get my company to buy me airmagnet suites at some point.  :)

I was hoping there was something for rtls location tracking in linux,
but there were only a few abandoned projects out there.  Wifi mapping
suites like airwave are only so accurate without rtls, but rtls is much
nicer for realtime mapping accuracy, such as rfid tracking of .11 tags.

-mb