laser printer question

Jon Kettenhofen coverturtle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 08:45:10 MST 2013

I've repaired and refurbished a few old monochrome HP and Apple printers
and my experience is this:  get the service manual - it's not that hard
to do it yourself.

Here are some tips:
There's a special cleaning and rubber renewing compound that you can get
from Amazon
and other sites.  Use that.  Never use alcohol because that will cause
the rubber on the
rollers to disintegrate after a while (the rubber turns to sticky goo.)
I've never oiled the
rollers and that seems dangerous to me.  Just disassemble carefully and
clean all the
excess junk off the parts.  A rubber part needs replacing if it is
sticky, or hard and fails
to grab the paper properly.

If the rollers or the paper feed don't work correctly, it may be time to
replace them.
You can get service manuals, roller kits, maintenance kits and help from
a site called
"The Printer Works".  They also sell refurbished laser printers. (I never
worked for them but I have ordered parts from them.)

Most of the old HP and Apple printers used OEM laser printer mechanisms
from Canon.
If you are brave you can disassemble a burned-out fuser and replace the
halogen
lamp inside, but be sure to get the wattage correct, usually 500 for the
enterprise
printers or 300 for the personal (smaller) printers - but check the manual !

Search on line for a copy of the maintenance/service manual for your
laser printer.
With a little perseverance you should be able to find one for free.
Helpful persons
are on the internet who post them and there are probably some youtube
videos as well.

If you don't mind the power consumption, the old enterprise lasers from
Apple
and the HP lasers from the same era are a good investment - the only
part difficult
to find is the power supply and there may be some clones available.
When I worked
on these, some had printed over a million pages and were easily restored
to fine
working order, producing copy that is indistinguishable from the first
few copies.

Hope that helps,
Jon Kettenhofen