Then vs Now Programming WAS: Re: AMD vs Intel memory managemement

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 15 09:29:17 MST 2013

I just saw this

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/June-0-2013/Weekend15/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS061513&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS061513-_-EMC-061513-Index-_-E0A-_-EditorsElite

Your Price: $109.99

In 1998 I worked for an HMO that employed about 650 people.  If I remember correctly we had about 4GB of HD storage.  My unit got 500MB.

Today I have more storage and possibly more computer horsepower in my little home office just for PHP Programming.

In the old days you needed to optimize for the machine because computers where very expensive, while labor in comparison was less expensive.

Today the top programmers are being well compensated.  For a couple thousand you can build a very powerful computer that can do anything a $100,000/yr plus programmer would ever need.

So now we optimize for labor.  Labor is now where the real cost is.

In 1988 I was an intern with the city of Tucson.  I was told the mainframe cost one million dollars.  It was connected to hundreds of dumb terminals.

Today I might have more power in my home office at the cost of under $2000.  And my computers are not water cooled like that mainframe.

It is a business decision.

Keith Smith