OT: laser printer question

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 22:43:29 MST 2013

Start by opening up the printer and cleaning all the rollers with alcohol
and something lint free.  Chances are you are getting some/occasional
slippage.  You might also look for worn edges or worn grooves that could be
catching the paper.

Sometimes you can get an HP laser printer from ASU surplus for a decent
price.  Personally I have had good luck with Brother laser printers
(2250/2270 dn specifically) and they can be had for $70-$200 depending on
who has them for sale.  Lately, Fry's Electronics and Newegg have had
Samsung lasers on sale.  I have no experience with them but it may be worth
the $70 to try one out.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM, Mark Jarvis <m.jarvis at cox.net> wrote:

> We have an HP 1018 laser printer. It is not good about  keeping the paper
> in alignment as the paper goes through the printer. For example, if the
> page has a box 1/2" from the edges, the paper can slew slightly so that the
> printed lines can be 1/8" closer to the edge at the top than at the
> bottom (or vice versa). This happens from 25% to 60% of the time. For most
> things, who cares? But if you're printing the master pages that will be
> used to make copies of a newsletter, it is very bad. Trying to get copies
> with even margins from a slewed master is not fun.
>
> Unfortunately, I have never seen a printer review that addressed keeping
> the paper straight & in line as it goes through the machine. Does anyone
> have a recommendation for a (reasonably priced) printer that does a good
> job of this? Or even the name of a forum where I can go for advice?

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.