OT: Worlds smallest movie

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 16:42:47 MST 2013

And historically, some forward looking companies not only allow, but
require employees to spend some percentage of their time in research
independent of their normal job.  Everyone knows the evolution of 3M
Post-it notes.

When I worked at 3M Central Research Laboratories, I was required to spend
15% of my time on independent research (I was a college student) and the
only requirement was that I inform the Technical Director what things I was
looking into.  I could even spend that time talking to *anyone* in the Lab
 including a guy so intelligent he reported to no one except when he wanted
to.

I only managed to patent a special version of magnetic screwdriver.  The
man in the lab next to me was around 10 years older and had 20+ patents for
3M.  The last one I know he did was a very accurate and efficient way to
measure blood clotting.  The medicos and hospitals desperately wanted that
one.  So many things can happen when you unfetter your people!

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Stephen <cryptworks at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is how new technology is discovered. with to much free time and
> really high end tech. what do they do find a use for said tech and maybe
> make some new tech to go along with.
>

> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> gee.... it reminds me of the game 'pong'
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Eric Cope <eric.cope at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> IBM has too much free time:
>>>
>>> http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/40970.wss
>>>
>>> Eric

> Stephen

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.