Then vs Now Programming WAS: Re: AMD vs Intel memory managemement

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at smartstoragesys.com
Thu Jun 13 12:46:08 MST 2013

IMHO, the answer is yes.  And the answer is no.

Operating systems in 'the olde days' were REALLY small, and didn't do much. No gui, for one! (Well, ok, on the IBM 1130 I used the GUI was the flashing lights on the console!)

Shoot, the entire boot loader fit on a single 80 column punch card.  The card had I think 12 bit positions per column, so that means we could load a program (from cards!) with 120 bytes of program. The computer ran 16 bit instructions, so that means in 60 instructions we could read binary data from the card reader (12 bits at a time), and store it into memory!

FORTRAN (and later C) and assembly language were probably the primary languages in use for applications.

As James said: "Cache?  We don't need no stinkin'cache!"  Cache was a luxury that Idon't think we even considered...

I'm not sure how much is language bloat, and how much is (perceived?) lack of need to be careful about ram or anything.  I will say that it seems that, as computers get faster, they run slower due to all the junk that comes with the OS.  It wasn't that long ago that Linux would run 'hummingly' on a lowly Pentium with 512MB of ram.  Try that today with a  current distribution that isn't aimed at 'low-end' computers!

Personally, I think it's a bad thing that we can turn what would have been a supercomputer 40 years ago into a machine that runs slower than my Osborne 2 did!  (I can out-type my Lenovo ThinkPad T410 to the point that I've had 40 to 80 characters typed that it had not bothered to process before I gave up typing and waited for it to catch up!)  (Yes, its running Windows)

(Note, an Osborne 2 was a 'portable computer' (about the size of a medium piece of luggage) that ran CP/M, had 64K of RAM and 2x 5 ¼" floppies!  (The REALLY cool luggable machines had some 'huge' hard drive (probably 20MB!))

Rusty, climbing down off of soapbox now J

From: plug-discuss-bounces at lists.phxlinux.org [mailto:plug-discuss-bounces at lists.phxlinux.org] On Behalf Of Nathan England