Firewall and filter solution?

Alan Dayley adayley at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 15:38:21 MST 2013

I am in need of setting up a firewall and content filter solution. I was
thinking of Smoothwall with Dan's Guardian, since I've done that
successfully in the past. However, I'm open to other possibilities. I need
both hardware and software.

Hardware wish list:
- small and fan-less
- at least two built in NICs
- additional NIC space would be nice but not mandatory

Software wish list:
- disc-less install
- headless and keyboard-less after install with ssh and https admin after
that
- subscription to good filter list
- good filter control like white and black lists, filter categories, etc.
- time controls to access Internet or not by device and/or user
-- time controls on filter openness would be cool
- performance to handle up to 20 devices

Maybe a virtual (in the cloud) solution can work but I have not researched
that yet.

Any suggestions?

Alan