OT: NSA story keeps getting bigger...

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Jun 7 12:40:56 MST 2013

All,

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM, josh <joshcoffman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not having been a tinfoil hat guy, I have been changing the way I do some
> things and deleting various accounts that I don't use or don't trust.
> Mostly in a reaction to this plus some other things that I've been
> learning. I'm also wondering if there's a way to become a
> security/privacy/rights advocate & consultant and still pay bills.

The "privacy" writing has been on the wall since your grandfather's era.
 You are not the first to question which side might provide the best
success.

Clearly, if you are not the NSA or DHS employment roles, there's not going
to be much money to be made here, and most of that will be defense
attorneys.

In all actuality, most grade school kids know more about keeping themselves
safe online (and reducing privacy issues by exposing their identity) than
many of the "get rich quick with Linux" and "so called" Identity
contractors out there!

There ARE companies that provide an identity management/monitoring service,
even bundled with insurance or offered as part of a rewards program, which
focus on real time account monitoring, news and internet content searching,
data checks and more (all automated in a moment by moment threat level
report); but if you wanted to "train" people how to use proxies,
bittorrent, sidestep cookies, and use safe searching with the expectation
that no information will be retained to profile them; you would be
horrendously naive.

If you login to any mail site, there's a really good chance that your data
is already tapped there - plus you yourself logged in, so any cookie or
browser history that is pharmed is relegated to profile you; as you move to
services and systems that are quasi telcos such as Power grid for local
public service companies, and/or accessing sites served via AKAMAI caching,
that foot print is again validated.  The GOVT has instant access to any
manner of information from AKAMAI on your browser.

RedHat doesn't need to have an open backdoor to NSA, all anyone has to do
is point you to a JavaScript hook configured correctly and their third
party systems through technology described through BEef (Browser
Exploitation Framework).

Microsoft DOES have various backdoors developed in conjunction with NSA
(which bas been an open factoid for many years.

> On June 7, 2013 at 10:26:30 AM, Nathan England (nathan at nmecs.com) wrote:
>

> I am a conspiracy theorist. I have believed the Selinux was an NSA back
> door since it came out. Is there documented proof? No. Has it been examined
> by lots of people? I don't know. Can you prove it has been examined by lots
> other than a dozen developers working for a company that has already signed
> documents stating they will cooperate with the government?
>

> Would RedHat come out in the open and announce that selinux is a backdoor
> for the NSA? No, that would eliminate their OS. Everyone would dump them,
> Fedora also, in droves!
>

> Honestly, I said it originally with tongue firmly in cheek, but I do have
> my suspicions. The NSA has some of the best computer security guys outside
> of Google, who is to say they could not write some excellent code that
> takes others a long time to figure out what it is really doing? lol
>

> On Friday, June 07, 2013 09:36:50 AM Ted Gould wrote:
>

> Okay, I may be feeding the trolls, but I have to ask:
>
> Is there a link to this SELinux is a backdoor thread?  I mean it is open
> source and the source code has been read by many people inside the US and
> out.  Is it just "the NSA wrote it so it must" type of thing?
>
> In my experience the only backdoor in SELinux is that it's so complex
> almost everyone screws it up ;-)
>
> Ted

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype