How to get my Linux system to recognize a video CD or DVD (SOLVED)

coverturtle coverturtle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 21:04:22 MST 2013

I'm also running linux mint.

No one should have to do that mount; it should take
place automatically as the result of a trigger configured
into the mint install.

As happens with my system now, inserting a flash drive or
a CD or DVD causes a mount even if the file system on
the flash drive* or the optical disk is unknown to the OS.
This should be your experience as well.

Unfortunately, repeating this error is probably too time
consuming for me to try to repeat, but I think someone
dropped the ball on the automatic mount.

At any rate, you shouldn't have to bother with this again,
at least for quite a while.

Jon

*Depending on the permissions on the flash drive, you
may need to mount it as root.  Check the permissions
on /media/<username>/<flashdrive name> and you
may need to check the permissions on the flash drive
as well.  Bootable flash drives may have different
permissions.