AMD vs Intel memory managemement

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Mon Jun 3 13:46:36 MST 2013

Your explanation seems about right to me. The problem though, with a single
processor with multiple cores, they are all using the same memory interconnect.

While in theory, and quite possibly in true NUMA systems, this is a more efficient
way to handle memory management with tasks assigned to a specific processor ( I
would imagine this would be huge for VM hosts ) but as far as I know, there are no
real world examples or tests that show this actually works any faster with multiple
cores.

But why does CentOS not register all of my memory? Why less than 3/4 of it? I have
actually had my machine swap due to the work load where as if it had access to the
other 3 GB of ram it would not have swapped!

Maybe I should have gone with a single 8GB stick of ram instead of dual 4GB. Silly
me!

Nathan