AMD vs Intel memory managemement

Nadim Hoque nadimhoque at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 13:27:18 MST 2013

If i recall AMD started doing NUMA which each core gets a dedicated amount
of memory that is tied to it. The plus side is that when the core needs
something in its own memory region it does not need to put the request in
the queue like in non-numa and gets it faster. The down side is if it needs
data in a memory region that belongs to another core it will take longer
since it essentially has to ask that core for that data. In non-numa
architecture the entire memory space is allocated to all cores which means
that each core can access memory with out asking another for data. The
problem with this is that all memory requests is put in a queue and the
core has to wait until the memory controller is able to process the
request.  For many core and lot of memory systems you are mostly better off
with NUMA. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Nadim Hoque
Systems Support Analyst
Engineering Technical Services
Arizona State University