How to get my Linux system to recognize a video CD or DVD?

coverturtle coverturtle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 10:59:10 MST 2013

First make sure you have all your updates - you did not mention which
linux distribution you have.
If after confirming that your linux distribution is up to date, you
still cannot read the cd, then you need to add
drivers for the filesystem is on the CD.
If you have synaptic package manager, search for brasero and install
that.  Brasero should load the CD file systems
drivers you need to read the CD.   If you need to play a video on the
CD, make sure you have vlc installed.
Hopefully that will be all you need.

If the CD needs a special app to read the CD (which happens with some
proprietary CDs) you may need to
determine which app is used on Windows and find a linux app that will do
the same job.