Ipod

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Tue Jul 30 08:47:32 MST 2013

On 2013-07-29 20:09, pademc1 wrote:
> I have an older Ipod which I somehow lost ownership of. I tried to
> put some new music on it, but I get an error message stating it is
> "read only".

What were you using to put new music on this ipod?  What's the model of
the ipod?  Is it disk-based, or flash-based?  How old is the ipod?  The
ones with disks will eventually suffer mechanical failure, while the
ones with flash will probably eventually get bit rot.

> I tried to change it to read and write from the command
> line (using sudo) but it still comes back read only.

Have a look at the output from dmesg for anything to do with filesystem
problems or disk errors on the device.  Filesystem problems may require
a mkdosfs followed by using gtkpod to recreate the file structure.  Disk
errors probably mean the device is on its last legs.

> G-parted I think I wouldn't be able to reuse the Ipod because I can't
> find any Linux based software to install on the Ipod.

Is this a disk-based ipod?  If so, you might be able to replace its
firmware.  The disk-based ipods I've seen typically have 2 partitions, 1
containing a firmware blob and 1 containing a FAT or HFS+ filesystem.
Some people have made alternative firmware images.  I don't think
replacing the firmware would help you do what you want, though.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity