Need Some Assistance Setting up a VPN

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Mon Jul 15 12:33:40 MST 2013

I have been itching to setup a VPN using my ASUS RT-N16 running DD-WRT
v24-sp2 (3/19/12) mega so I can access my local network while away from
home. I have been doing some reading about it, and I am a little confused.
What I want to do is access any server on the network from a remote
location using my Android tablet or Debian laptop. I could just open some
random ports and ssh into any of the boxes, but a VPN would be more
challenging to setup...;)

I have not rooted my tablet (ASUS TF701), nor do I really want to. There is
a non rooted version of openvpn for Android.

But then, I read this article (https://www.grc.com/vpn/routing.htm) and
came to the conclusion that I need a bridged vpn, so with more reading I
have to use tap and not tun. My first roadblock - the Android version of
openvpn does not support tap, just tun.

First question - do I have to use bridging (hence tap) to be attached to my
network at home from a remote location with my Android tablet? Do I have to
use tap? What would you recommend for setting up my vpn?

Thanks,

Mark