Why does Konqueror render page sizes so differently?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Sun Jul 14 19:22:12 MST 2013

Why do Konqueror (and Chrome) render page sizes so differently?

And what can I do to remedy this problem?

Specifically, how can I get Konqueror to render an html page the same
size as Firefox does for the same URL?

Among other objectives, I'm trying to determine what would be an optimal
page/window/pane size to get my websites to look somewhat consistent on
different devices and browsers.  In particular this work-in-progress
draft page:

- - http://www.vsiq.com/invitation/html/a10reasons.htm - -

While I understand that different browsers render html with different
capabilities and standards, one would think that **at least** the sizes
of html pages on different browsers should be rendered in a reasonably
consistent ratio to the screen size.

I've spent many hours in the past (including most of today) trying to
figure out why the same URL address page works fine on several different
devices, even with different operating systems, but is rendered in
radically the wrong size (relative to the screen size) on some other
devices and browsers.

Today, I took screen shots (or a photo) of several different systems,
browsers, and devices to compare and study, and I've combined three of
the most extreme problems on a single image posted here:

- - http://www.upquick.com/temp/sizediffs.jpg

Since I don't know how to capture a screen shot on Chromebook, I took a
photo with my camera and scaled it (and all of the images) to their
actual sizes as measured by a physical ruler.

An interesting side-note, an image at 100-pixels per inch does not
produce an actual image or page of the corresponding number of inches.
Rather, I found that to get actual inches, one must use 92.4 pixels per
inch. Wonder why.

In any case, in the past, Konqueror was an excellent browser, and it
rendered pages almost identical in size to what Firefox did.  However, as
you can see in the sizediffs.jpg example image compilation, Konqueror
seems to be the most screwed up, and the Chrome browser also does a very
poor job compared to Firefox.

Also, it makes no sense that my 10.1" Xoom tablet presents such an
excellent image that is far superior to our 11.6" Samsung Chromebook that
renders the same URL page/image so small that is almost useless.

Of course, I realize that I can do CTRL++ to increase the page size, but
surely there must be a better way to get the Chromebook to naturally
display pages/images in a much more proportional way relative to its
screen size.

Even doing CTRL++ with Konqueror no longer produces an html page
appearance in a reasonably proper size.

Here's a comparison of actual page/window/pane sizes on my various devices:

screen size/actual width: pane width: height:
Desktop 24" FF     20.75"   14"    x   7.5"   Firefox good
Desktop 24" Konq   20.75"    9"    x   5.9"   Konqueror bad
Desktop 24" Chrome 20.75    12.4"  x   6.7"   Fonts not good
Thinkpad 14"       11"      10"    x   5.5"   Good
HP laptop 17"      13.5"     9"    x   5"     Both FF & M$ IE okay
Xoom 10.1" tablet   8.5"     8"    x   5"     Good
Chromebook 11.6"   10"       6.7"  x   3.65"  Way too small
Netsurf browser    20.75"   10.25" x   6.75"  Terrible image