replacement computer - Yarnell

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Jul 10 13:17:14 MST 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 22:02 -0700, Derek Trotter wrote:

> Here's something that just occurred to me.  I used to know a guy in
> Wickenburg who was responsible for the backups where he worked.  He
> told me that once a week when he came to work, he would take the last
> set of backups to the bank where he put them in the firm's safe
> deposit box.  He would bring the tapes that were in the box back to
> the office where they would be used for the next backup.

I've done that for years with a couple of drives.  Mostly for photos.
The number of photos I have would take quite literally a week to upload
to any online service with the bandwidth I have.  And I'd like to use
the bandwidth for other things!  (Justin Bebier videos, of course)
Works well.  Kinda manual, but it is a very cheap off-site backup
solution.

On the technical side what I do is that I back up individual machines to
a NAS at home.  Then I "back up the back up" and take that drive to the
bank.  I don't do it that often, but it puts a backstop on how much I'd
loose in extreme cases.  For the most part the NAS handles all standard
recovery/failure cases.

Ted