replacement computer - Yarnell

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Jul 9 22:22:12 MST 2013

Am 09. Jul, 2013 schwätzte Derek Trotter so:

moin moin,

> Here's something that just occurred to me.  I used to know a guy in
> Wickenburg who was responsible for the backups where he worked.  He told me
> that once a week when he came to work, he would take the last set of backups
> to the bank where he put them in the firm's safe deposit box.  He would bring
> the tapes that were in the box back to the office where they would be used
> for the next backup.

Order is important. Don't want all of the backups on site at the same
time.

Can't find my normal warning story about the company that had both sets of
backups on the racks when the datacenters went up in flames. An intern ran
into the DC to rescue a set of backups or the company would have lost
everything.

> You can always sign up for one of those online backup services if one will
> support linux, but you may need several days to do the first backup.  After
> that, they only back up what has changed.
>
> Does anyone know if any of those online backup servies that advertize on the
> radio will work with linux?

Dunno if it's advertised on the radio, but I bet UbuntuOne works :).

Google Drive and Dropbox should also work.

I think the carbon one works as well.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Who decided that holders of government-granted monopolies should
#  determine the future of high tech? I don't remember reading that memo."
#    -- Will Rodger, director of public policy, Computer and Communications
#       Industry Association