OT Reverse Engineering … Legality

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 22:11:12 MST 2013

First I want to say I agree with Rusty that this is a lawyer's dream.

Keith Smith already posted text  from the legislature saying the
software is valuable enough for this to qualify as a class 2 felony.

You didn't say who did this, but if it's a friend or relative, I'd
suggest you advise them to get rid of the software immediately. Why?
Because somebody else could call the business software alliance, turn
them in and get a big reward.

If it's somebody you don't particularly like, you can be the one to make
the call and get the reward.

Just my 2 cents worth.  That's actually $1.98 including tax.

On 07/09/2013 04:11 PM, G Gambill wrote:

> What do you call it (technical name) when a company installs $45,000
> worth of evaluation software (with a dysfunctional security program to
> restrict functionality and a termination routine that renders the
> program totally non-functional after a set date.) on their computer
> and reverse engineers the software and removes the the evaluation
> restrictions, without paying for it?
>
> Anyone know if this would this be considered a felony?
>
> TIA
>
> George
>

> --
> Success builds confidence. Failure builds knowledge.

"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore