ot: measure dsl with the multimeter

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 17:48:27 MST 2013

Why not just look at the light?  On the modem I have, the LEDs blink if
it's not working or are on and not blinking if it works.  I used to have
one with LEDs that would change color, green if working, red if not working.

On 07/02/2013 05:41 PM, Ryan Rix wrote:
> To test with a multimeter whether the DSL is working or not:
>
> * Unscrew case for DSL modem such that the board is visible
> * Set multimeter to read DC voltage
> * On the front of the modem will be a small LED which lights up depending on
> the connection quality of the DSL modem
> * Attach one lead to each of the LED's two contacts
>
> If there is a voltage measured by the multimeter, then congratulations, the
> DSL is working! If not, you will need to contact your service provider for
> more help.
>
> I have successfully used this method to test my wireless router in the past,
> it works wonders when you're trying to debug these things. See the image I
> have attached for the method I personally use:
> http://wstaw.org/m/2013/07/03/disassembled.jpg
>
> Warning: Do not short anything across the board with your multimeter leads as
> that may lead to damage to modem, multimeter, cables, cat or personal death,
> dismemberment or incontinence.
>
> On Mon 1 July 2013 18:31:02 Michael Havens wrote:
>
>> I was having a lady ask me about fixing her dsl. Now.... I'm told that dsl
>> sounds like static  over a buttset; unfortunately, perhaps that was a few
>> years ago because when I test that on my dsl line I hear nothing. So I need
>> to ask, how does one test dsl with a multimeter?

"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore