ot: measure dsl with the multimeter

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 20:30:55 MST 2013

All a meter will tell you is the voltage on the line.  That's around 48
volts when the phone is on hook, 6 when the phone is off hook and 90
when it's ringing.  The multimeter won't tell you anything about the
quality of the DSL signal or anything about the DSLAM.

On 07/01/2013 06:31 PM, Michael Havens wrote:
> I was having a lady ask me about fixing her dsl. Now.... I'm told that
> dsl sounds like static  over a buttset; unfortunately, perhaps that
> was a few years ago because when I test that on my dsl line I hear
> nothing. So I need to ask, how does one test dsl with a multimeter?

"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore