Upgrade to Debian testing hosed my system

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Jan 30 17:19:11 MST 2013

Well, after some poking around I finally solved the problem....

1. The onboard nic was not dead, just a little confused.
2. The problem was in /etc/fstab in this line
//192.168.25.105/orca /home/share cifs
file_mode=0644,dir_mode=0755,uid=1000,gid=1000,rw    0    0
I found these errors in the logs -
CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -6

When I commented out the line above in /etc/fstab, everything started
working again.

The network mount was for a NAS that turned out not to work very well, so I
removed it from the network and must have forgotten to comment out that
line in /etc/fstab.

I hate it when things like that come back to haunt you years later.....

Mark