pictures folder

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Mon Jan 28 00:10:59 MST 2013

ln -s works for me - get the details from the man page. Besides, a
symbolic link is easier than changing the XDG designation for your
Pictures directory:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

just make sure your link has the same name as your current XDG
Pictures directory and you shouldn't have any problems.