Upgrade to Debian testing hosed my system

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Thu Jan 24 12:23:01 MST 2013

> "ping beagle" returns the correct IP
The name resolution is done at the /etc/hosts or DNS server level, it has
nothing to do the 'correct box' having the 'correct IP'.
Or being duplicated...

The only way to detect a duplicate IP is by capturing packets and checking
the MAC address.   If you knew the MAC address of the box, you can use
'arping' to validate it.  'arping' also has a switch to detect duplicate
addresses, but I'm not familiar with the functionality.
ET