OT: Java vs PHP

Paul Mooring paul at opscode.com
Mon Jan 21 08:46:56 MST 2013

I'm a Ruby guy, it's definitely my favorite language and I've seen and used it on lots of production projects.  Rails does not scale well.  I think a lot of confusion comes into play when newer web developers are working on a big project for the first time and thinking scaling should be the defining factor in every choice they make.  Twitter had to dump rails for Scala on the back end for scaling reasons, Facebook had to compile their PHP to C code and compile that and Google has done even more exotic things to scale.  These are companies that measure their load in millions of req/minute, you don't need to worry about that kind of scale yet.

Some of the problems Ruby specifically has are in the memory management and multi-tasking departments.  Ruby's garbage collection has a sort of "water-mark" side effect, memory is flagged for re-use within the interpreter but not in the OS in general.  This means that if a ruby process needs 1 GB of memory for a short period of time, then it will keep around 750 MB of memory forever, even if it's only actively using 10MB.  Second there's no concurrency in Ruby, well ok there's threads and fibers but those are shackled with a GIL great for getting around blocking operations like web request or blocking IO but limited to 1 core and not faster for cpu bound problems.  These problems can and have been solved in Ruby's mature web eco-system.  If you're really interested in a decent sized project I think Ruby is a great choice but know what you're getting into, and maybe checkout JRuby and Puma from the get go if you want to solve the problems I mentioned up front.

One more thing since I mentioned JRuby you can actually run JEE server and mix it in with true Java code for optimization if you run JRuby.  That can give you the ease of developing in a more developer friendly language than java  (static typing debates aside Java has a lot more boilerplate code to deal with) while allowing you to dip into to something more heavy duty if you hit a performance wall.
--
Paul Mooring
Systems Engineer and Customer Advocate

www.opscode.com