Has anyone here tried a Chromebook?

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Tue Jan 15 14:43:14 MST 2013

I have historically used laptops with the screens ripped off for
servers and various remote workstations. Net Tops just seem perfect
for what I want. Typically I can get more powerful guts for close to
the same cost because I'm not paying for a screen, keyboard and mouse.

But I really like the ability to leave the battery in. Up here in the
woods we have problems with suicidal squirrels taking out
transformers. And some days I feel like we are an APS testing town
where they randomly turn off the power to see what will happen.

Though I have everything on battery backup, sadly when power goes out
my cable goes with it. That is the ONLY advantage DSL has over cable.
At least here in APS testing town...

On 1/14/2013 4:20 PM, keith smith wrote:

> Heat is one of the main reasons I went to laptops.  I had 2 towers
> running 350 plus watt power supplies.  My office was the hottest
> room in the house.  Now today I could use that heat, however in
> July and August I'll pass.
>
> These net top computers are cool. I still like the netbooks or
> cheap notebooks though because you get a monitor, mouse, and
> keyboard with them.  That makes them perfect for a simple LAMP
> server in a dev environment.  Or add an external monitor, keyboard,
> and a mouse and you have two screens you can use.  Not as nice as
> two large flat panel monitors, however not as much expense either.
>

> Once in a while I make the joke that if smart phones become more
> powerful, I might just use a couple of them for my LAMP dev.

- --
Regards,

Nathan England

NME Computer Services http://www.nmecs.com
Nathan England (nathan at nmecs.com)
Systems Administration / Web Application Development
Information Security Consulting
(480) 559.9681