Kubuntu 12.10 installation and setup checklist (draft).

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sat Jan 12 10:03:18 MST 2013

You have some questions at the bottom:
?? How to make resolution setting "Save as default"? (It doesn't work now.)
?? How to make network authentication automatic? (It is not now.)

The reason both of these don't work is you turned off KDE wallet.  It
doesn't just store passwords, there are some configuration items stored
in it as well, as cookies and other items that you might want password
protected.  It's better to think of it as a centralized encrypted
database, that is usually used for passwords.

 From the look of your checklist, it sounds like you just want things to
work and don't want security items to get in your way.
My suggestion is to turn back on kwallet, and then when you use
something for the first time that wants to use kwallet, and kwallet asks
for a password to encrypt your wallet, just hit enter/click OK, then
when it tells you that a blank password isn't very secure, tell it to
use it anyway.
Then the next time that kwallet pops up and asks if something can
connect to the wallet, tell it to always connect.  You should never see
kwallet again and your wireless network connections will connect
automatically on login (unless you have unchecked automatically connect
for the connection) your cookies in konqueror and rekonq will work and a
bunch of other programs that store items in the wallet will just work as
well.

There are usually ways to turn off the wallet and still have the
programs work correctly, but you would have to find the settings in each
individual program and you usually still loose a level of security as in
the programs just write their passwords to a plain text file.

There is a nice setting in the kwallet config that can let you have you
cake and eat it too.  You can set use "different wallet for local
passwords" in the config, and give that the no password and
automatically connect, treatment, and leave the other one password
protected.  With that config all your local settings will "just plain
work", but when you connect to stuff on the Internet, it will ask for a
password to decrypt your stored passwords, for how long to leave the
wallet open before it asks for a password again is configurable (once, a
few minutes, until the screen saver comes on, until you log out)

On my local machines that I'm the only user, I tend to go the least
intrusive, low security, route.  On work machines or other machines that
other people have access to, I tend to have kwallet pop up and ask for a
password to decrypt my stored passwords.  If you trust the people around
you, but worry about what would happen if your laptop was stolen, you
can go for the ask once at login, and only once, and that should keep
the bad guys out of your passwords.  Kwallet is a very configurable
program...

Now what KDE really needs is not a way to do without it, but something
that pops up the first time that kwallet is used that explains what it
is, what it does for you and what options you have with it.  That would
cut down on a lot of misunderstandings that a lot of people have with
kwallet.  Perhaps they could add a "I don't care about security just
make things work" button and a setup a separate local wallet button, so
that the system stuff just works.  Maybe even an I hate kwallet, and I
understand that I'll break a lot of things in the system, but turn it
off anyway button.

Brian Cluff