printer not printing

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Jan 9 19:22:09 MST 2013

Make sure cups daemon is installed/running and browse to
http://localhost:631.  Fiddle with settings in there, I've had to almost
reset it inside cups a few times already, where even a reboot didn't
work for my brother mfc.  I blame it on sketchy vendor drivers as I have
to use a proprietary package.

mb at host:~$   netstat -an | grep 631
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:631           0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 ::1:631                 :::*
LISTEN
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     16575    /opt/avg

mb at host:~$ grep 631 /etc/services
ipp		631/tcp				# Internet Printing Protocol
ipp		631/udp

-mb