OT: router recommendation

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Jan 9 19:05:33 MST 2013

Oh, one thing to keep in mind with wireless - the more antennas, the
more discrete radios.  More channels == more bandwidth.  Part of the n
spec is beamforming, which modulates cohesively across multiple
channels.  Lower end ones only have 1 or 2 antennae, but the spec
supports up to 4.

Good ap's also have dynamic channel selection that refuses busy
channels.  You find these things in enterprise hardware like cisco
units.  They'll even attack and ddos bad radios offline for fun and
profit automatically.

Compare the specs of an enterprise unit like a cisco 3500 (google) ap to
those in whatever you buy.  There's a lot of crap out there too, so
caveat emptor, and lean toward one with an open os on it like tomato
that actually receives long-term support.

-mb