OT: router recommendation

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Jan 9 18:52:27 MST 2013

I'd look at an asus rt-n16, a buddy loves his.  It runs ddwrt or tomato
hackable linuxes.

2.4ghz covers b/g/n
5ghz covers a/n

n works for either 2.4ghz or 5, but can mimo channel-bond/hop across 3
channels, and can use 40mhz channels in 2.4 for increased throughput.

2.4 is used by everything+dog, all sorts of dubious radios that wreak
havoc on the spectrum.  Use 5ghz if you can, but note signal coverage
isn't generally as good distance-wise @5ghz.

Of course 802.11ac with gig spec are now starting to hit the sales floors...

-mb