Does anybody use Akonadi, Nepomuk, Strigi, Soprano, Virtuoso ?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Wed Jan 9 11:52:12 MST 2013

It used to be true that it could eat your system alive, these days it's
mostly transparent, and when 4.10 is released next month it contains a
major rewrite of the whole system and should be even more transparent.

If you leave it enabled, it can do a lot of really neat things like let
you search for files based on their contents and tag files with all
sorta if information.  For instance you can tag your pictures with
information that would allow you to quickly find pictures of people,
places and things from all over your hard drive.  In fact if you use
Digikam, it has the ability of automatically tag new images of people
based on facial recognition of people you have previously tagged.
The KDE programs automatically add all sorts of info, so you could even
find files based on where they came from, so when you save attachments
in kmail they are tagged with where they came from, so you could search
for libreoffice files that came from person at place.com with the words
"dog" in the document.  All pretty cool.
It does a lot more, but those are some of the highlights.  I used to
turn it off because it had a tendency to eat enough system resources to
become noticeable, but that was a couple of years ago.  These days I
just leave it turned on, and I never notice it indexing anymore.

Brian Cluff