Slackware vs the others

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Jan 7 21:04:46 MST 2013

Any of the 8xxx and 9xxx cards from nvidia were iffy, mine was a 9600,
and I had an 8400 too that used to be spotty.  I'd got to a 240gt and
didn't have a problem again (until the mobo died).

Oddly I have less driver issues with linux than I did with windows - it
either works or never will.  If the hardware is exotic/abnormal, than
yeah good luck with it.  Otherwise most odd bits like usb ethernet,
serial, and other random devices usually probe and load a driver
automagically.  I deal with routers/switches mostly, so usb serial
hardware is common and usually a trick with windows to find drivers for
them.  I've never had a random off-brand serial usb adapter NOT work
under linux when windows guys get all depressed to spend an hour hunting
them down.  I've had to lsusb the device it to tell them what they had.  :)

One note I found recently if upgrading, intel z77 motherboards suck for
linux, any/all of them.  The gpu switching "lucid" chip every one uses
has crap support under linux.  I couldn't even use my ati6950 card in it
as even windoze implements all kinds of driver hacks for it.  Forums are
full of complaints.  I had to go back to using my defective p67 board,
and might go back to amd all together as it all rather irked me.

-mb