Slackware vs the others

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Jan 7 20:05:33 MST 2013

Last time that happened to me under linux, the video card was on the
fritz.  Got worse enough it finally just died (mass distortion of
display on boot), replaced it, and never locked up again.  I've had
memory (ram) cause this kind of thing, saw a crappy WD external drive
enclosure do it too (pc bios wouldn't boot with it connected either,
replaced enclosure).  Most hard locks I always suspect hardware now.

I bet largely it's using a different driver, or it's not loading a video
driver to use gpu.  As long as something isn't using a feature, the
system doesn't lock.  GPU went out on my laptop where as soon as compiz
kicked in, the display would wig out, but using 2d/safemode only was
just fine.  I think you might have a similar problem.

-mb