Slackware vs the others

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:24:39 MST 2013

This happened often enough that I'm sure the machine was locking up.
Video playback stopped.  So did music.  Any game I might have been
playing stopped.  It wouldn't respond to pings.  Ctrl+alt+delete did
nothing.  Ctrl+f1 did nothing.  Trust me.  It locked up.  Slackware just
works.  Even though I have to compile some programs and this takes some
time, in the end, they work.  I won't mess with the other distros.  Also
the others had trouble identifying and configuring either the audio,
video or both.  Kubuntu would ID the monitor and give me 1600x900, but I
had to mess with the audio.  Debian would get the audio right, but it
acted as if the monitor was 4x3.  The others had varying problems.  Once
I got the audio and video working, I'd install vlc and there was trouble
with it playing audio correctly and resuming audio playback after
pausing and unpausing.

When I installed slackware and ran it the first time, the video was
correctly configures and so was the audio.  When I installed vlc, it
played audio when resuming playback after pausing.  I'll stick with
slackware as long as I have this machine.  When I eventually get
another, I'll try the others again.  I really liked being able to type
in apt-get install whatever and have it running a minute or two later.
But that doesn't do me much good if I can't watch a Firefly episode all
the way through.

I'm sure slackware isn't for everybody, but I'm glad it's there.

Derek